Update: Further information added relating to Green Party councillor Carla Denyer and Bristol ANTIFA.
UWE has released a statement today in which it states that it has declined to host an EU Election Hustings on campus held by the UWE Debating Society originally planned for Friday 17th May, citing safety concerns.
Twitter page @bristolantifa had publicly encouraged followers to protest the event, to which the official @UWEBristol account has replied to inform them of the cancellation.
UWE Debating Society have stated they are continuing to prepare for the event.
Stephen Williams, Liberal Democrat, and Ashley Fox MEP, leader of the Conservatives in the European Parliament, had been confirmed to attend.
More as this story develops.
Have your say
Contact us at email@example.com to have your say on this event in Comment!
- Information from the event’s Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/413167062798197
- Tickets for the general public are available from Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/eu-election-hustings-uwe-bristol-tickets-61611041283
- Tickets for all UWE students, staff, and alumni are available from the Debating Society’s page: https://www.thestudentsunion.co.uk/soc/debating
- Statement from The Students’ Union: https://www.thestudentsunion.co.uk/news/article/thesuatuwe/2994/
- Statement from UWE: https://info.uwe.ac.uk/news/UWENews/news.aspx?id=3941